Thursday, August 21, 2008

Vacation Break

After coming back from vacation yesterday, I was almost scared to sit at the piano. I expected I would play bad, that my fingers would be out of shapes, and that my memory would fail me.
I guess I had in mind the famous Satchmo quote:
"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it."

Having not played for 5 days, I thought "boy... I'm in trouble"

Well, surprise! I sat down and played the blues in a couple keys. And not only it was all there, but I spontaneously came up with new lines I had not played before.
Strange no?

My memory was still there, the pieces I was trying to memorize came back instantly, and I was able to memorize new stuff much more easily than before leaving for vacation.

I guess I needed a break.

Let's hope I can make this last.

No comments: