Friday, July 3, 2009

My Whole Love

Composition of the week.

I discovered Rosegarden for Linux. And it's just absolutely awesome. The note editor is really good, I'm able to quickly enter notes using my keyboard, editing is convenient, chord notation is very intuitive. 5 minutes, my sheet is complete.
The output uses Lilypond, and looks much better.

A few things worth noting in this line. First, I purposely overuse the whole tone scale, and that's where the title comes from. Also, I slip in a couple of pitch grouping technique. Metaphors for the Musician explain this concept in details. In bar 5, 6 and 7, I use groups of 3.

In bars 21 and 22, I use rhythmic grouping, a series of triplets which gives a 2 against 3 feel. It's a technique that creates a sense of randomness. I heard Charlie Parker use it all over the place, and this always comes unexpected. This is also difficult to apply because counting is more difficult. The last 2 8th notes help me get back to a normal flow.

here's the sheet:



And, as usual, a quick recording:
My Whole Love

No comments: